Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Age of Steam/Steam

Thanks to Karl Rainer for the following aricles, lifted from BoardGameGeek:

The first time I played AoS I was struck by how simple the rules are, and yet how deep the game play turned out to be. Our entire game group scratched our individual heads in collective consternation... how are you supposed to play this game to win?

I immediately sat down to figure this game out. I'm still working on it a year later, and it has turned into one of my all-time favourite games. I also managed to establish a tidy winning streak, which prevented me from disseminating too much info lest my co-gamers, all 'geek readers, take too much advantage. Heh heh heh.

However, I am moving to Nanaimo BC, far away from these folks, and I believe the time has come to reveal my methods and start an Age of Steam strategy guide. I will be posting individual chapters as I get them written, dealing with several of the following topics:

- Why is money so tight?
- An analysis of the Actions
- Board analysis
- The first turn.
- Just how well is it possible to do?
- Offensive and defensive actions
- Some thoughts on expansion boards
- Advanced topics